Holiday Citrus Sweet Potatoes
Change out your traditional sweet potato recipe with this new version. The fruit sauce provides a bright, but not too sweet accent to the sweet potatoes. This side is sure to be enjoyed.Maureen Akins, Kent, Washington
8 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 6 large sweet potatoes (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Scrub and pierce sweet potatoes. Bake at 400° for 45-50 minutes
- or just until tender. Reduce heat to 350°. When cool enough to
- handle, peel and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Place in a greased 13-in.
- x 9-in. baking dish.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juices. In a small saucepan, combine
- cornstarch and brown sugar. Gradually stir in orange juice and
- reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Add the pineapple, oranges and
- cranberries; heat through.
- Pour sauce over sweet potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 306 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 3 g protein.