Our family of seven is thrilled when I serve this cherry-cheese Danish. —Doris Hostetler, Clarkrange, Tennessee
- 1 tablespoon Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry jam
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a bowl, combine the butter, sour cream, eggs, sugar and salt. Add yeast mixture and flour; beat until smooth (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, in a bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until blended. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divided in half. Roll out each portion into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling down center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips about 3 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Curve one end, forming a candy cane. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Stir jam, then spoon over top of leaves, creating candy cane stripes. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
Originally published as Candy Cane Coffee Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p53
Reviews for Holiday Cherry Cheese Danish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2012
"This recipe really is delicious! The cream cheese filling and cherry preserves takes it over the top. Perfect gift for neighbors on a pretty plate during the holidays."
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2010
"Wonderful recipe! My family requests this often."