- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar,
- butter, eggs, salt, orange peel, cardamom, mace and 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small bowl, combine the butter, sugar,
- extract and orange peel; set aside. Toss the fruit and almonds with
- flour; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a
- 30-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges;
- sprinkle with fruit mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with
- a long side; pinch seam to seal. With a sharp knife, cut roll in
- half lengthwise.
- Place on a greased baking sheet; gently twist the ropes together cut
- side up. Coil into a circle; tuck ends under. Cover and let rise
- until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pan to a wire rack to cool. In a small bowl, combine orange butter
- ingredients. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with coffee cake.
- Yield: 1 coffee cake (1/2 cup orange butter).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 298 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.