Holiday Biscotti Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be sticky). Stir in cranberries, pistachios and orange peel. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, shape each half into a loaf 1-1/2 to 2-in. diameter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
- 3. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut diagonally into 3/4-in. thick slices. Place slices, cut side down, on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Turn slices over. Bake 10 minutes more or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 164 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Holiday Biscotti
"These cookies were delicious. The fresh orange with cranberries gave a great burst of flavor. I took them to a Church social and they received great reviews. This will be one of my "go to" recipes whenever coffee is being served and on any day of the year!"
"First time making biscotti.... Turned out well, went over well with everyone"
"For a sturdier biscotti, try using unbleached all purpose flour."
"These are incredibly good and easy to make! I made the dough the night before and baked them in the morning. Brought a warm batch into work and they disappeared instantly. Next time I make them, I'm doubleing the cranberries."
"These are terrific. I made these a few days before Christmas and had to hide them so they wouldn't all be eaten before the holiday. I had run out of orange extract but they tasted fine anyway. Just be careful with the second cooking step. My oven might be a little too hot and they browned more than they should have. As for the person who had problems with cracking -- try using a bread knife or a smaller serrated one, like a tomato knife. Anyway, the house smelled wonderful. I have some leftover pistachios and dried cranberries so I plan to make them again very soon. And I might dip them or drizzle them with melted white chocolate."
"It was easy to make."
"I love Biscotti! When I saw this receipe, I knew I had to try it. First time I made my own. Delicious and so pretty with the red of the cranberries and the green of the pistachios. It's a keeper and already in my recipe book for next year. I didn't use the orange extract, just addedd a little more vanilla. I used fresh grated orange peel."
"<p>Made these yesterday for my first ever biscotti recipe. They turned out great! Seemed much easier than I thought they'd be. Very yummy. Can't wait to try some other biscotti recipes for Christmas presents!UPDATE: I made two other biscotti recipes (1 from this site and one from another) and this was the best one by far. This recipe makes a very nice dough, enough biscotti for all, and the taste is wonderful. The recipe and instructions were spot on. I'll definitely be making this recipe again.</p>"
"This is my first try at biscotti. I'm only through the first baking and the crumbs taste awesome. However, I have a question. My dough cracked and when I tried to slice it some of it crumbled. Also, I baked the recommended time and the very middle was still moist. Should I have baked it longer? Any clue on why it cracked? Will definitely try it again because the flaver or fantastic."
"This is my first time to make Biscotti. This recipe was so easy and they turned out great. Can't wait to give them as gifts. They look really pretty and are sooo good."
"This is my favorite biscotti recipe. I have made it several times. Toni"
"I discovered biscotti for the first time this past Christmas season and made lots of differnt recipes. Of all of them I always came back to this one, it is one of my favorites!!"