Our home economists added all-purpose flour to the sugar cookie dough to make it easy to handle and shape these pecan-filled bells. Maraschino cherries provide a festive final touch as the bells’ clappers.
18 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 5 red or green maraschino cherries, quartered
- In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. Roll out
- on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a
- floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cherry juice and butter.
- Stir in pecans. Place 1/2 teaspoonful in the center of each cookie.
- Shape into a bell by folding edges of dough to meet over filling;
- pinch edges together.
- Place a piece of cherry at open end of each bell for clapper. Bake at
- 350° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Immediately remove to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 87 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.