VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 5 red or green maraschino cherries, quartered
- In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cherry juice and butter. Stir in pecans. Place 1/2 teaspoonful in the center of each cookie. Shape into a bell by folding edges of dough to meet over filling; pinch edges together.
- Place a piece of cherry at open end of each bell for clapper. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Immediately remove to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Holiday Bells in Quick Cooking November/December 2005, p18