Holiday Beef Brisket Recipe
When I was a child, my mom would make her Holiday Beef Brisket on Jewish holidays and other special occasions. Everyone gathered around the table to enjoy the tender slices of meat alongside nicely browned carrots and potatoes. Those heart-warming meals evoked camaraderie and love for our family.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- Place onions in a greased shallow roasting pan; top with brisket. Combine the ketchup, paprika and garlic powder; spread over brisket. Dissolve bouillon in hot water; pour into pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and celery. Cover and bake 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter; let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Beef Brisket in Taste of Home December/January 2008, p58
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Holiday Beef Brisket(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 1, 2008
This recipe needed an additional hour and a half baking time -- too much moisture -- tough. Didn't like the ketchup flavor.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >