Holiday Baked Apples Recipe
These appetizing oven-baked apples from Paula Marchesi of Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania abound with fall flavor. The cored apples are filled with raisins, nuts and dried cranberries, then baked in a fragrant spiced sauce. Topped with white chocolate shavings, the apples will add a festive touch to your seasonal gatherings.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-calorie reduced-sugar cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 8 medium tart apples
- 1/2 ounce white baking chocolate, shaved
- 1. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and ginger. Stir in the cranberry juice, syrup, lemon juice and almond extract until smooth; set aside. Combine the cranberries, raisins and almonds; set aside.
- 2. Core apples, then peel top half off each. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fill each apple with 2 tablespoons cranberry mixture. Pour the juice mixture over and around apples.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until tender, basting occasionally. Reduce pan juices if desired. To serve, drizzle apples with pan juices and sprinkle with chocolate. Yield: 8 servings.
One apple equals 239 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 11 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC