Holiday Almond Bars Recipe
This fast, delicious dessert always makes an appearance during our Christmas celebrations.—Cheryl Newendorp, Pella, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:54 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup almond paste
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, almond paste and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Gradually add flour just until moistened.
- 2. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with almonds.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 piece equals 107 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC