Holiday Almond Bars
This fast, delicious dessert always makes an appearance during our Christmas celebrations.Cheryl Newendorp, Pella, Iowa
54 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup almond paste
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, almond paste and 2 cups sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Gradually add
- flour just until moistened.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with
- remaining sugar; top with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
- Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 107 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.