Tips for Freezing Breads and Rolls
During the hectic holiday season, it's nice to bake and freeze some breads, rolls and muffins a few weeks in advance.
After the baked goods have cooled completely, follow these steps to ensure they remain fresh and flavorful in the freezer.
- For best results, don't top bread with icing, frosting or glaze before freezing.
- Wrap baked goods tightly in freezer-safe plastic bags, airtight containers, heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer paper. (Place coffee cakes and rolls on foil-wrapped cardboard before wrapping and freezing.)
- Make sure the temperature of your freezer is 0° or less.
- Most baked goods are fine to freeze for up to 1 month.
- To thaw, unwrap slightly and thaw at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
- The baked goods can be served at room temperature. Or to serve warm, wrap in foil and bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes.