Serve Goose for Thanksgiving Dinner
A Thanksgiving Gala with Goose
For folks looking to add a little twist to their traditional Thanksgiving table, this special supper showcasing succulent Goose with Corn Bread Stuffing is just the thing! (If you think your family will cry "Foul!" when they don't find turkey on the table, we've also provided a recipe for Herb 'n' Spice Turkey Breast.)
For side dishes, you can't go wrong with Orange Whipped Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry Fruit Mold, Thyme Green Beans with Almonds and Butterfluff Rolls. Pumpkin Cheesecake Dessert blends the wonderful flavors of pumpkin pie and cheesecake into an unforgettable finale.
A Versatile Stuffing
Goose with Corn Bread Stuffing yields about 8 cups of stuffing and is also ideal for a 10- to 12-pound turkey. Just before baking, loosely stuff the turkey and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° in the thigh and 160° in the stuffing.
The stuffing can also be baked in a greased 2-1/2-quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Thanksgiving Dinner Agenda
A Few Weeks Before:
- Order a 10- to 12-pound domestic goose from your butcher.
- Buy a fresh or frozen 4-1/4- to 6-pound bone-in turkey breast; freeze.
- Prepare two grocery lists—one for nonperishable items to purchase now and one for perishable items to purchase a few days before Thanksgiving.
A Few Days Before:
- Buy goose and any remaining groceries.
- Thaw frozen turkey breast in a pan in the refrigerator. (Allow about 24 hours for a 6-pound turkey breast.)
The Day Before:
- Set the table.
- Clean and trim the fresh beans for Thyme Green Beans with Almonds.
- Make the Pumpkin Cheesecake Dessert; refrigerate.
- Prepare the Cranberry Fruit Mold; cover and refrigerate.
- For the Corn Bread Stuffing (from Goose with Corn Bread Stuffing), bake corn bread as directed. Cool; store in an airtight container at room temperature. Prepare vegetables; refrigerate in airtight containers.
- In the morning, peel and cube sweet potatoes for Orange Whipped Sweet Potatoes; cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature.
- Bake the Butterfluff Rolls. Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Make the Corn Bread Stuffing; stuff goose and bake.
- Bake Herb 'n' Spice Turkey Breast.
- Make Orange Whipped Sweet Potatoes.
- Let the cooked turkey breast stand for 20 minutes before carving. Let the cooked goose stand for 10 to 15 minutes; remove the stuffing and carve.
- Make the Thyme Green Beans with Almonds.
- Set out the Cranberry Fruit Mold.
- Serve Pumpkin Cheesecake Dessert.