An Elegant Thanksgiving Dinner
Gather with your family this Thanksgiving for a distinguished dinner that pleases the eye as well as the stomach!
Thanksgiving Dinner Agenda
A Few Weeks Before:
- Order a 12- to 14-pound domestic goose from your butcher.
- Prepare two grocery lists—one for nonperishable items to purchase now and one for perishable items to purchase a few days before Thanksgiving.
- Bake Cornmeal Pan Rolls; cool. Freeze in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags.
A Few Days Before:
- Buy the goose and any remaining grocery items, including fruit for the Sugared Fruit Centerpiece.
- Toast bread cubes for Gingered Long Grain and Wild Rice. Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
The Day Before:
- Set the table.
- For Cranberry Tossed Salad, make the dressing; cover and chill. Wash and dry salad greens; refrigerate in a resealable plastic bag. Wash and chop broccoli and cauliflower; place in a resealable plastic bag and chill.
- Bake Cran-Apple Pie. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
- Later in the day, make the Sugared Fruit Centerpiece.
- In the morning, peel sweet potatoes for Roasted Autumn Vegetables and cut into wedges. Cover with cold water and refrigerate.
- Thaw Cornmeal Pan Rolls at room temperature.
- Assemble Gingered Long Grain and Wild Rice; cover and chill. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking as directed.
- Bake the Mandarin Goose.
- Assemble Roasted Autumn Vegetables; bake as directed.
- Remove salad dressing from the refrigerator 30 minutes before dinner; combine all Cranberry Tossed Salad ingredients. Just before serving, shake dressing and drizzle over the salad; toss.
- Let the cooked goose stand for 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, make the gravy.
- Set out the Cornmeal Pan Rolls.
- Serve Cran-Apple Pie for dessert.