Patriotic Picnic Table
For Memorial Day picnics, show your patriotic colors with this red, white and blue table trim decoration.
First, cover your picnic or patio table with a white tablecloth, allowing it to hang over the sides of the table. You can use cloth if you choose, but disposable paper tablecloths are less expensive and require no laundering afterward. They can be found at variety and party supply stores.
Next, gather red and blue ribbon in assorted widths. Cut lengths of ribbon equal to the length of the tablecloth. Center the widest ribbon down the length of the table.
Place a bit of double-stick tape on the underside of the ribbon at each edge of the table. Add additional ribbons on each side of the wide ribbon, and tape as before. Trim the ribbons even with the tablecloth.
Now cut lengths of ribbon equal to the width of the table. Place them across the width of the table between each place setting, weaving them through the lengthwise ribbons, and tape as before. Trim ribbons even with the tablecloth.
Place red and white geraniums in a patriotic container on the center of the table. Wrap tableware in a festive napkin; tie in a bow with a contrasting ribbon.
Remembering the Meaning of Memorial Day
Although Memorial Day has come to symbolize the start of summer for many people, its true purpose is to honor the men and women who lost their lives while serving our country.
Here are a few ways you can observe the real meaning of Memorial Day with your family:
- Take time to explain the meaning of Memorial Day to children or grandchildren.
- Proudly fly the American flag.
- Take your family to a Memorial Day parade in your community.
- Place a donation in an American Legion kettle and get a red poppy for your lapel.
- Make a point of attending a ceremony at the local war memorial.
- Stop by a local cemetery and place flags on the graves of fallen soldiers.