It's tempting to treat Memorial Day simply as the unofficial start of summer.
But when you gather with family and friends over this long weekend, take time to remember those who lost their lives defending our country.
One way to pay tribute is by planning a picnic with an all-American meal.
Topped with Sweet Brown Mustard and Pepper Onion Saute, Grilled Seasoned Bratwurst will shine in this stars-and-stripes menu.
Instead of making an ordinary green salad, display Tomato Zucchini Salad on a pretty platter.
Guests will be in their glory when you tap into Lemon Chiffon Blueberry Dessert.
Remembering the Meaning of Memorial Day
Although Memorial Day has simply come to symbolize the start of summer for many people, its true purpose is to honor the men and women who lost their lives while serving our country.
Here are a few ways you can observe the real meaning of Memorial Day with your family:
- Take time to explain the meaning of Memorial Day to children or grandchildren.
- Proudly fly the American flag.
- Take your family to a Memorial Day parade in your community.
- Place a donation in an American Legion kettle and get a red poppy for your lapel.
- Make a point of attending a ceremony at the local war memorial.
- Stop by a local cemetery and place flags on the graves of fallen soldiers.