Halloween Candy Crafts
Put candy to use in new and different ways with these Halloween craft projects
Holiday Pops Wreath
Need: Orange spray-paint, foam wreath form, unwrapped lollipops, glue gun, clear semigloss lacquer, orange bow, florist wire
How to: 1. Use orange spray-paint to cover foam wreath form. Let dry.
2. Trim sticks of unwrapped lollipops and attach to foam with glue gun. 3. Let dry for about 20 minutes.
4. Spray lollipop wreath with clear semigloss lacquer 3-4 times, letting dry between coats. Do not overspray, as the lollipops will melt if they are too wet.
5. When dry, attach orange bow to wreath. Hang with florist wire.
Tootsie Roll Napkin Ring
Need: Colored Tootsie Rolls, inexpensive napkin rings, cutting board, knife, rolling pin, clear matte lacquer
How to: 1. Roll out each Tootsie Roll into a rectangle.
2. Cut to shape and place together in a pattern. Use rolling pin to flatten and firmly attach pieces together.
3. Wrap ring with flattened Tootsie Rolls, making sure the ends meet on the inside of the ring. Press to flatten around the ring.
4. Dry overnight or until Tootsie Rolls feel solid. Spray with lacquer five times, allowing rings to dry between coats.
Need: Gumballs, large vase, smaller vase, flowers
How to: 1. Insert small vase into large vase.
2. Drop gumballs into the space between the vases, creating desired pattern.
3. Add fresh or dried flowers to the smaller vase. If using fresh, be sure water does not drip into the candy.
Tootsie Roll Frame
Need: Inexpensive photo frame, Smarties candy, colored Tootsie Rolls, Elmer's Glue, paintbrush, glue gun, 1-2 sticks of glue, clear matte lacquer
How to: 1. Unwrap Tootsie Rolls, putting the candy aside for snacking, and cut wrappers to desired shape.
2. Mix glue with small amount of water to decoupage the wrappers onto the frame.
3. Paint diluted glue onto frame and wrappers; let dry for 10 minutes.
4. Paint with diluted glue again; let dry.
5. Use glue gun to attach Smarties to side of frame; let dry.
6. Spray with lacquer twice, letting frame dry between coats.
Need: Quality metal cookie cutters, aluminum foil, cookie sheet, cooking spray, Jolly Ranchers, 1 durable straw, clear semigloss lacquer, ribbon
How to: 1. Heat oven to 350°. Wrap cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Place cookie cutters on cookie sheet, making sure they sit flat. Spray cookie cutters and foil with cooking spray.
3. Place 1-2 unwrapped Jolly Ranchers inside each cookie cutter.
4. Bake for 4-5 minutes until candy is melted and bubbling.
5. Remove from oven; cool for 2 minutes or until partially dry. Use straw to make hole in top of ornament. Remove hole from the straw and continue. Let all ornaments fully dry. Remove from cookie cutters.
6. Spray 2-3 times with lacquer; let dry between coats.
7. When dry, tie ribbon through hole to hang ornament.
Use this technique to melt candies into new shapes. To keep them edible, don’t spray with lacquer.