Turkey Dinner for Christmas Day
Family and friends will sing your praises when they see your Christmas Day dinner table decked out in this feast featuring turkey and all the fixings.
It's no surprise that Turkey with Sausage Stuffing is the festive focal point. The outside roasts to a rich golden brown, while the meat and stuffing remain wonderfully moist.
There's no better way to wrap up this mouth-watering meal than with refreshing servings of Cranberry Ice. Make this holiday meal using the simple menu planner shared below.
With their ruby color, cranberries are a perfect staple item when cooking around the holidays. Follow these guidelines when storing and using these beautiful berries.
- When stored in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerated, cranberries will remain fresh for 1 month.
- To freeze cranberries, place them in a single layer on a 13-inch x 9-inch baking pan. When frozen, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 year. Freezing berries individually allows you to measure only as many as needed.
- Just before using, wash the cranberries and pluck off any stems. There's no need to defrost frozen cranberries first.
Christmas Dinner Countdown
A Few Weeks Before:
- Prepare two grocery lists—one for nonperishable items to purchase now and one for perishable items to purchase a few days before Christmas Day.
- Order a fresh 10- to 12-pound turkey or buy and freeze a frozen turkey.
Two to Three Days Before:
- Buy remaining grocery items (including the fresh turkey if you ordered one) and berries and greens for the Cranberries & Boughs Centerpiece.
- Thaw frozen turkey in a pan in the refrigerator. (Allow 24 hours of thawing for every 5 pounds.)
- Prepare Cranberry Ice.
- Set the table.
- For the Sausage Stuffing (from Turkey with Sausage Stuffing), cube bread and store at room temperature in an airtight container. Cook bulk pork sausage and drain; cover and refrigerate.
- For the Dressed-Up Broccoli, cut broccoli into spears. Store in a large resealable plastic bag; chill.
- Chop onions for the stuffing and broccoli dish; refrigerate in airtight containers.
- Make the Blue Cheese Dressing for the Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing; cover and chill.
- In the morning, assemble the Cranberries & Boughs Centerpiece.
- Peel and cube potatoes for Herbed Mashed Potatoes; cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature.
- Tear lettuce for the Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing; place in a resealable plastic bag and chill. Slice the red onion; refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Prepare the stuffing; stuff turkey and bake.
- Make the Beets in Orange Sauce, Dressed-Up Broccoli and Herbed Mashed Potatoes.
- Let cooked turkey stand for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the gravy. Remove the stuffing and carve the turkey.
- Assemble the salad ingredients for Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing; serve dressing alongside.
- Serve Cranberry Ice for dessert.