An egg fills the center of each savory serving of this fried bread from Terri Prudhomme of Moorhead, Minnesota. “Shredded wheat gives each slice a nice, crispy texture,” Terri assures. “Enjoy it plain or with syrup.”
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 slices bread
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups crushed Shredded Wheat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- With a 3-in. round cookie cutter, cut out a circle in the center of
- each slice of bread; set circles aside.
- In a bowl, beat 4 eggs and milk. On a hot griddle, melt butter.
- Carefully dip both sides of bread slices in egg mixture, then coat
- with cereal; place on griddle.
- Break 1 egg into the center of each bread slice. Cook for 3-4 minutes
- over medium heat until bread is lightly browned. Turn and cook until
- eggs are completely set. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry reserved bread circles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.