Hodgepodge Stew Recipe
This is a dish that I enjoyed as a child and still remember with pleasure. Mom's homemade bread made the perfect complement to this meal.
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add the beans, carrots, and potatoes. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add corn and peas; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until tender.
- 2. Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid; set vegetables aside. In the same pan, combine the butter, cream, chives, pepper, paprika, reserved liquid and remaining salt. Add vegetables and heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 284 calories, 21 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 485 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Hodgepodge Stew
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC