Hobo Meatball Stew Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a bowl, combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs on all sides; drain.
- 2. Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with meatballs. Combine the water, ketchup, vinegar, basil, and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meatballs.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with salt-free seasoning and no-salt-added ketchup) equals 402 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 1,324 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.