Hobo Meatball Stew
Basic ingredients make this hearty stew a favorite at the home of Margery Bryan in Royal City, Washington. "I usually have everything on hand for this recipe, so it's simple to load up the slow cooker at noon. When I get home, dinner's ready and waiting."
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a bowl, combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. In a skillet over medium heat, brown
- meatballs on all sides; drain.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top
- with meatballs. Combine the water, ketchup, vinegar, basil, and
- remaining salt and pepper; pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with salt-free seasoning and no-salt-added ketchup) equals 402 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 1,324 mg sodium,