When our children were small, I invented this recipe to take along on trips to the park. We'd grill the packets, then eat the meal right from the foil wrap!—Ann Millhouse, Polo, Illinois
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, tomatoes, onion, mixed vegetables and mushrooms; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the egg, tomato juice, oats, onion, salt and pepper; crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Divide meat mixture into six portions; crumble each portion onto an 18-in. x 12-in. piece of foil.
- Top with vegetable mixture; season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Bring edges of foil together; crimp to seal, forming a packet. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hobo Knapsacks in Country Ground Beef 1993, p39
Reviews for Hobo Knapsacks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review