Hoagie Buns Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining warm water and sugar. Beat in the oil, salt and 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into an oval. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. With a scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep slash across the top of each. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 13-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 237 calories, 4g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Hoagie Buns
"I will definitely be making these again! These were so good and easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly, cutting it in half."
"This is a great recipe that is so versatile. I've made hoagie buns, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, and a loaf of bread with it. It's simple and tastes really good. Besides, nothing beats the smell of home-made break baking in the oven."
"I have made this recipe dozens and dozens of times for parties, graduations, and just to serve as rolls. I add some powdered milk powder to the recipe to help keep them a little more moist. My favorite bun recipe!"
"This is what I was looking for and it's so Easy....The taste was Fantasic.....Great for French Dips.......Thank You!!!"
"Very simple and great taste, added a some whole wheat flour."
"These turned out delicious! Simple and tasty!"
"Loved these rolls."
"Good and easy to prepare"
"I have made this recipe before. I keep losing it. I won't lose it again."