Hoagie Buns Recipe
Fresh from the oven, these homemade buns provide a delicious and convenient way to serve my beef.—Betty Sitzman, Wray, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining warm water and sugar. Beat in the oil, salt and 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into an oval. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. With a scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep slash across the top of each. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 13-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each equals 237 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC