- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining warm water and sugar. Beat in the oil, salt and 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into an oval. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. With a scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep slash across the top of each. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 13-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Hoagie Buns
Sort By :
"I will definitely be making these again! These were so good and easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly, cutting it in half."
"This is a great recipe that is so versatile. I've made hoagie buns, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, and a loaf of bread with it. It's simple and tastes really good. Besides, nothing beats the smell of home-made break baking in the oven."
"I have made this recipe dozens and dozens of times for parties, graduations, and just to serve as rolls. I add some powdered milk powder to the recipe to help keep them a little more moist. My favorite bun recipe!"
"This is what I was looking for and it's so Easy....The taste was Fantasic.....Great for French Dips.......Thank You!!!"
"Very simple and great taste, added a some whole wheat flour."