Hint-of-Orange French Toast
"Our daughter and son-in-law have their own sugar works in Vermont, so we always have a supply of maple syrup, which makes this breakfast favorite even better," notes Donna Warner of Tavares, Florida. "This recipe can be expanded to feed a crowd, too."
2 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar and/or maple syrup, optional
- Place the bread in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. In a small bowl,
- beat the eggs, milk, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla. Pour
- over bread; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or
- In a large skillet, cook French toast in butter over medium heat for
- 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Dust with
- confectioners' sugar and serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 2 slices (prepared with egg substitute, fat-free milk and reduced-fat butter) equals 455 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 1,006 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.