"Our daughter and son-in-law have their own sugar works in Vermont, so we always have a supply of maple syrup, which makes this breakfast favorite even better," notes Donna Warner of Tavares, Florida. "This recipe can be expanded to feed a crowd, too."
Recommended: Our Berriest Breakfasts
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar and/or maple syrup, optional
- Place the bread in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla. Pour over bread; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large skillet, cook French toast in butter over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Hint-of-Orange French Toast in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 37
Reviews for Hint-of-Orange French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 22, 2014
Reviewed Jul. 24, 2012
"This a great french toast recipe. The orange adds a great kick. I think it can be more crispy if you squeeze the excess liquid prior to cooking."