- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, sugar, cocoa, salt, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Hint o' Mint Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p36
Reviews for Hint o' Mint Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 14, 2009
"Unless there was an printing error made you need to add more flour. Put the dough in frig for over and hour and you still couldn't handle it."