Himmel Futter Torte Recipe
This recipe was a favorite of my grandma's. As kids, we called it "Dark Secret" because Grandma would vary the fruit with the season and we never knew what she hid under the cream.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light. Add shortening and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, dates and nuts; add to bowl and mix well. Spread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Break torte into small pieces and arrange on a serving plate. Just before serving, place fruit on top and cover with whipped cream. Fruit can be varied by season. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 cup: 342 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Himmel Futter Torte
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2012
"At family reunions this the first dessert to go!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC