- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light. Add shortening and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, dates and nuts; add to bowl and mix well. Spread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Break torte into small pieces and arrange on a serving plate. Just before serving, place fruit on top and cover with whipped cream. Fruit can be varied by season. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Himmel Futter Torte
"This is an awesome-funny sounding title for a dessert. "Himmel Futter Torte". No one believed me that this was the true name for this until they googled it. I was crunched on time, so I used cut up pound cake and it was a hit."
"At family reunions this the first dessert to go!"