Highbush Cranberry Jam
Although not true cranberries, highbush cranberries also have tart red fruits that can be used in cooking. This is a lovely spread with mouthwatering tangy flavor.—Evelyn Gebhardt, Kasilof, Alaska
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing Cook: 50 min. + cooling
- 7-1/2 cups highbush cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large covered kettle, simmer cranberries and water for 20-25
- minutes, stirring occasionally. Press berries through a strainer;
- discard skins. Strain mixture through a double layer of cheesecloth
- (juice will drip through; discard or set aside for another use).
- Measure 6 cups of the pulp that remains in the cheesecloth and place
- in the kettle. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for
- 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour into freezer containers.
- Cool. Refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 3-4 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 80 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.