Hidden Treasure Cupcakes Recipe
Let kids discover the “hidden treasure” inside these cute-as-can-be cupcakes! They’re make-ahead convenient, ensure even-steven portions of cake for all party guests and are almost too pretty to eat! Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup strawberry pie filling
- 24 Swiss cake rolls
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring, optional
- Assorted candies: Jolly Ranchers, Nerds, skull and fish hard candies
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop 1/2 teaspoon pie filling in the center of each; top with remaining batter.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut cake rolls lengthwise (do not cut through); set aside. Place two tablespoons frosting in a small bowl; set aside. Tint remaining frosting with blue food coloring if desired; frost cupcakes.
- 4. Place a cake roll on each cupcake. Decorate with assorted candies. Tint reserved frosting with yellow food coloring if desired; place in a resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of bag; pipe latches onto chests. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Hidden Treasure Cupcakes
Reviewed Oct. 4, 2010
"Made these with my first grade class after we studied pirates. They loved them!"
Reviewed Sep. 29, 2010
"Made this according to the directions, the strawberry sank to the bottom and the cake sucked up pie filling and hollowed out the cupcake. Would not make this again."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC