Hidden Treasure Cupcakes Recipe
Let kids discover the “hidden treasure” inside these cute-as-can-be cupcakes! They’re make-ahead convenient, ensure even-steven portions of cake for all party guests and are almost too pretty to eat! Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup strawberry pie filling
- 24 Swiss cake rolls
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring, optional
- Assorted candies: Jolly Ranchers, Nerds, skull and fish hard candies
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop 1/2 teaspoon pie filling in the center of each; top with remaining batter.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut cake rolls lengthwise (do not cut through); set aside. Place two tablespoons frosting in a small bowl; set aside. Tint remaining frosting with blue food coloring if desired; frost cupcakes.
- 4. Place a cake roll on each cupcake. Decorate with assorted candies. Tint reserved frosting with yellow food coloring if desired; place in a resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of bag; pipe latches onto chests. Yield: 24 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC