Let kids discover the “hidden treasure” inside these cute-as-can-be cupcakes! They’re make-ahead convenient, ensure even-steven portions of cake for all party guests and are almost too pretty to eat! Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup strawberry pie filling
- 24 Swiss cake rolls
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring, optional
- Assorted candies: Jolly Ranchers, Nerds, skull and fish hard candies
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop 1/2 teaspoon pie filling in the center of each; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cut cake rolls lengthwise (do not cut through); set aside. Place two tablespoons frosting in a small bowl; set aside. Tint remaining frosting with blue food coloring if desired; frost cupcakes.
- Place a cake roll on each cupcake. Decorate with assorted candies. Tint reserved frosting with yellow food coloring if desired; place in a resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of bag; pipe latches onto chests. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Hidden Treasure Cupcakes in Simple & Delicious May/June 2009, p46
Reviews for Hidden Treasure Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review