- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- PEPPERMINT LAYER:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- CHOCOLATE COATING:
- 2 packages (11-1/2 ounces each) milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 1-1/2-in. round cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine all the peppermint layer ingredients. Knead for 1 minute or until smooth. Shape into 120 balls, 1/2 in. each. Place a ball on each cookie and flatten to cover cookie. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread about 1 teaspoonful over each cookie. Chill until firm. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Originally published as Hidden Mint Morsels in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p45
Reviews for Hidden Mint Morsels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2008
"Wonderful treats, perfect for gift bags. I added a bit of red food coloring to make the peppermint filling pink; it adds a nice bit of color to the treats."