With a delicious hickory-smoked flavor, this grilled turkey brings a southern twist to the Thanksgiving table—Kim Russell, North Wales, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup salt
- 1 jar (6 ounces) pickled ginger slices, drained
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 whole garlic bulbs, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram or 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 4 cups soaked hickory wood chips
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large navel orange, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- In a stockpot, bring the first 12 ingredients to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Remove giblets from turkey; discard. Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer’s directions. Drain turkey and discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Place the onion, orange and garlic inside cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Combine oils; rub over skin.
- Place turkey over the drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1 hour. Tent turkey with foil; grill 1-2 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Hickory Turkey in Grill It 2009, p168
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Hickory Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review