- to room temperature.
- Remove giblets from turkey; discard. Place a turkey-size oven
- roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Carefully
- pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible;
- seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate for
- 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add wood chips to
- grill according to manufacturer’s directions. Drain turkey and
- discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Place the
- onion, orange and garlic inside cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie
- drumsticks together. Combine oils; rub over skin.
- Place turkey over the drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium
- heat for 1 hour. Tent turkey with foil; grill 1-2 hours longer or
- until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads
- 170°-175°. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before
- carving. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor’s Note: It is best not to use a prebasted turkey for this recipe.
Nutritional Facts: 10 ounces cooked turkey equals 607 calories, 31 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 245 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 73 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer