Every time I make this recipe, my guests compliment me on how great the burgers taste. The secret is a little bit of Liquid Smoke and a few sprinkles of seasonings. —Michelle Miller Abbeville, South Carolina
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 12 slices process American cheese
- 12 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- Mayonnaise, lettuce leaves, tomato slices and pickle slices
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Top each burger with a cheese slice. Grill 1-2 minutes longer or until the cheese begins to melt. Serve on buns with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato and pickles. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Hickory-Smoked Cheeseburgers in Backyard Living July/August 2004, p18
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hickory-Smoked Cheeseburgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review