Hickory Nut Pie
My father use to make this pie when I was younger. I would go out in the woods looking for hickory nuts and remember having to shell them with a hair pin! It seemed like forever but the pie was worth it!—Carolyn Hayes, Marion, Illinois
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped hickory nuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Additional toasted hickory nuts or pecans, optional
- In a small bowl, beat eggs just until blended but not frothy. Beat in
- the corn syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir
- in nuts. Pour into pastry shell.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Garnish with additional nuts if
- desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 457 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.