Hickory Nut Pie Recipe
My father use to make this pie when I was younger. I would go out in the woods looking for hickory nuts and remember having to shell them with a hair pin! It seemed like forever but the pie was worth it!—Carolyn Hayes, Marion, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped hickory nuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Additional toasted hickory nuts or pecans, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, beat eggs just until blended but not frothy. Beat in the corn syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in nuts. Pour into pastry shell.
- 2. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with additional nuts if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 457 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC