Hickory Barbecued Salmon with Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 salmon fillet (3 pounds)
- 2 medium lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 cups soaked hickory chips
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine butter and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Drizzle 2 tablespoons butter mixture over salmon; top with lemon slices. Set aside remaining butter mixture for basting.
- 2. Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer’s directions. Place salmon skin side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 3. Carefully spoon some reserved butter mixture over salmon. Cover and grill 15-20 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork, basting occasionally with remaining butter mixture.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with salmon. Yield: 8 servings (1 cup sauce).
5 ounces cooked salmon with 2 tablespoons tartar sauce equals 624 calories, 52 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 34 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.