- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 salmon fillet (3 pounds)
- 2 medium lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 cups soaked hickory chips
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Drizzle 2 tablespoons butter mixture over salmon; top with lemon slices. Set aside remaining butter mixture for basting.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer’s directions. Place salmon skin side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Carefully spoon some reserved butter mixture over salmon. Cover and grill 15-20 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork, basting occasionally with remaining butter mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with salmon. Yield: 8 servings (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Hickory Barbecued Salmon with Tartar Sauce in Country June/July 2008, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hickory Barbecued Salmon with Tartar Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review