- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 4 ounces cubed provolone cheese
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, cut into strips (2/3 cup)
- 2 ounces thinly sliced hard salami, cut into strips (2/3 cup)
- 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a small bowl, whisk the first five ingredients until blended. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, pepperoncini, cheese, meats and pasta. Just before serving, add lettuce and tomatoes. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hero Pasta Salad
"Sounds good, can't wait to try. But I agree about the dressing, how could 6T. of liquid be enough for 2c. of cooked pasta. Everyone has there own likes ."
"I made this recipe as written but made a few changes due to my sodium sensitivity. I used Gemeli pasta (I had on hand), omitted salt and used Swiss Cheese (less sodium), also used Grapeseed Oil, can use less than Olive and get same results. I brought this salad to a Pot Luck and it went quite quickly and everyone asked for the recipe."
"I made this salad as written and it was fantastic. If you follow the recipe as written it is not dry. I mixed everything with the dressing except the lettuce and cherry tomatoes. When I serve it tonight I will place the salad on the lettuce and top with the cherry tomatoes. I did make a double batch of the dressing just to keep on hand for salads but only used half. I can sprinkle a bit on the lettuce if I feel it needs it but the salad itself is so flavorful it won't need it. My husband doesn't eat cold pasta salad. I talked him into a tablespoon and he couldn't believe it. He said, well I like it with meat and cheese in it! Thank you - this is a keeper/repeater. Gracia in Omaha ne"
"I also agree with Muckel and Smittyisme. How can you rate it if you have not tried it. Make the recipe as written. Then when you make it again do your thing to it. What gets me is when someone switches this and adds that then switches for something else. Well it is no longer the recipie. It is like going to a resturant ordering the special, then subsatuting each item for another, now it is no longer the special for the day, oh and then expect the special price. Just once I would like to see a review of the original recipie WITHOUT all of the changes, then rate it. Good greif."