One year I gave away these savory loaves instead of sweet treats. Our friends so enjoyed the change of pace that they were disappointed when they didn't receive this bread the next year. I haven't let them down since!
- 2 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 11 to 12 cups all-purpose flour
- HERB BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup water. Add butter, eggs, sugar, milk powder, salt and remaining water; mix well. Beat in 8 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Combine herb butter ingredients; brush over circles. Fold in half with buttered sides out. Place circles with folded edge down in five greased 8-cup fluted tube pans or 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 5 loaves.
Originally published as Herbed Yeast Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p15
Reviews for Herbed Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review