Herbed Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
I'm a serious bread baker, and this is my most prized recipe. My husband jokes that the real reason he married me was so that he could enjoy this herb bread forever!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, parsley, sugar, salt, dill, sage and onion mixture; mix well. Add cornmeal; mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cover with foil. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 96 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC