Herbed Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
I'm a serious bread baker, and this is my most prized recipe. My husband jokes that the real reason he married me was so that he could enjoy this herb bread forever!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, parsley, sugar, salt, dill, sage and onion mixture; mix well. Add cornmeal; mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cover with foil. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 96 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Herbed Whole Wheat Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC