Herbed Waffles with Creamed Beef Recipe
Meet the Cook: This is a nice recipe to whip up when you come home from church. I adapted it from one I saw in an old cookbook. It's a little different way to use herbs. We're the parents of two, both now grown, and the grandparents of three. -Lois McCormick, Muncy, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:3 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- CREAMED BEEF:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (4 ounces) shredded dried beef
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Combine the first three ingredients; set aside. In a bowl, beat milk, butter, egg yolks, parsley, onion, sage and thyme. Gradually add dry ingredients; mix well. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Whisk in milk and thyme; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick. Add the beef and heat through. Serve over waffles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 7 waffles (6 inches).
1 serving (2 each) equals 1,089 calories, 63 g fat (37 g saturated fat), 328 mg cholesterol, 2,782 mg sodium, 93 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 37 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC