Herbed Vegetable Spiral Bread Recipe
"This wonderful swirled bread is easy to put together...and while it's rising and baking, I make the rest of the meal," explains Denielle Duncan of Markham, Ontario. "Pretty and flavorful, it's great for company or a special holiday. Everyone thinks I bought this special golden loaf at a gourmet bakery!"
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup canned Mexicorn, drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepepr flakes, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the mozzarella, corn, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic and seasonings; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread cheese mixture over dough to within 3/4 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Sprinkle a large baking sheet with cornmeal. Place dough seam side down on baking sheet; tuck ends under. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 slices.
Originally published as Herbed Vegetable Spiral Bread in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p22
Reviews for Herbed Vegetable Spiral Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review