Herbed Turkey with Citrus Dressing Recipe
This tasty turkey recipe is a spin on traditional herb flavors. The citrus hints refresh your taste buds!—Susan Voigt, Plymouth, Minnesota
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried juniper berries, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Stir in the stuffing cubes, carrot, orange juice, peel and the celery mixture.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 3. Pat turkey dry. Place the salt, marjoram, thyme, juniper berries if desired, peppercorns and aniseed in a small food processor; cover and process until blended.
- 4. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub half of the butter under the skin. Sprinkle skin with salt mixture. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 5. Bake at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 6. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Herbed Turkey with Citrus Dressing
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC