- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried juniper berries, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Stir in the stuffing cubes, carrot, orange juice, peel and the celery mixture.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Pat turkey dry. Place the salt, marjoram, thyme, juniper berries if desired, peppercorns and aniseed in a small food processor; cover and process until blended.
- With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub half of the butter under the skin. Sprinkle skin with salt mixture. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Turkey with Citrus Dressing in Taste of Home's Best Holiday Recipes Annual 2010, p26
Reviews for Herbed Turkey with Citrus Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review