Herbed Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe
There are many versions of this old-fashioned casserole. Mine offers a little more zip due to the thyme and lemon peel. It’s a nice way to use up those turkey leftovers.
- 6 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, parsley, thyme and bay leaves. Cook until mushrooms are lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Discard bay leaves.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a small bowl; stir in lemon peel and set aside. Drain noodles; set aside.
- In the Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Combine egg yolk and milk; stir into white sauce. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in mushroom mixture and turkey; heat through. Fold in noodles. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and cheese; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Turkey Tetrazzini in Country Extra January 2009, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Turkey Tetrazzini(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Baked Turkey >
- Baking Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >