- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 quarts plus 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/3 cup fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- Place the turkey carcass, onions, celery, carrots and garlic in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 hour, turning once.
- Transfer the turkey carcass and vegetables to a stockpot; add 4 quarts water. Pour remaining water into the roasting pan, stirring to loosen browned bits; add to stockpot. Place the parsley, sage, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag; add to stockpot. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Discard the carcass and herb bag. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander. If using immediately, skim fat. Or cool, then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight; remove fat from surface before using. Broth may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for 4-6 months. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Herbed Turkey Stock
Sort By :
In hard economic times, one tries to "use every part of the baffalo." This is a great way to get a little more out of your turkey. I made this stock, divided it up in 1 or 2 cup freezer bags, and froze it. Now when a recipe calls for a small amount of chicken broth, it substitute this stock and may even have some left over for a small bowl of soup with a sandwhich. It's worked well for me.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Homemade Soup Stock >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Soup Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Simple Soup Recipes >