Herbed Turkey and Dressing Recipe
Whenever I serve this succulent golden turkey and delectable dressing, guests fill their plates and I'm buried in compliments. This recipe always makes a holiday dinner one to remember. It's well worth the time. -Marilyn Clay, Palatine, Illinois
- BASTING SAUCE:
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram, rubbed sage and dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 3 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups green onions
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 turkey (16 to 18 pounds)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the broth, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Add herbs; set aside.
- 2. Toast bread; cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Place in a bowl. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; remove with slotted spoon and add to bread. Add butter to drippings; saute the celery, carrots, mushrooms, ham and onions for 15 minutes.
- 3. Add to bread mixture; stir in the nuts, fruit and seasonings. Add egg substitute and 3/4 cup basting sauce; mix lightly.
- 4. Stuff turkey with about 8 cups dressing. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on rack in roasting pan. Baste with some of remaining basting sauce.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 5 to 5-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting every 30 minutes. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil.
- 6. Add broth to remaining dressing; toss to coat. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 10 minutes. Yield: 14-16 servings (18 cups dressing).
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC