- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 turkey (16 to 18 pounds)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a small saucepan, combine the broth, butter and salt; bring to a
- boil. Add herbs; set aside.
- Toast bread; cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Place in a bowl. In a skillet,
- cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; remove with
- slotted spoon and add to bread. Add butter to drippings; saute the
- celery, carrots, mushrooms, ham and onions for 15 minutes.
- Add to bread mixture; stir in the nuts, fruit and seasonings. Add egg
- substitute and 3/4 cup basting sauce; mix lightly.
- Stuff turkey with about 8 cups dressing. Skewer openings; tie
- drumsticks together. Place on rack in roasting pan. Baste with some
- of remaining basting sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 5 to 5-1/2 hours or until a
- thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the
- stuffing, basting every 30 minutes. When turkey begins to brown,
- cover lightly with foil.
- Add broth to remaining dressing; toss to coat. Place in a greased
- 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30
- minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour;
- uncover and bake 10 minutes. Yield: 14-16 servings (18 cups
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 805 calories, 41 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 220 mg cholesterol, 1,208 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 78 g protein.
This recipe pairs well with a medium white wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Protea Chenin Blanc South Africa 2011
. Honeysuckle and pear, with a hint of lemon, makes this perfect with any fish or chicken dish. Buy now and get 2 bottles for $29.99. Order Now