Herbed Tomato Soup Recipe
This warm and comforting soup from Beverly Hatfield of Arlington, Washington is perfect after cold and chilly days spent outdoors.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1-1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup salad croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the carrots, potato and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the tomato juice, soup, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in milk; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Top each serving with croutons and Parmesan cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC