Herbed Tomato Soup
No one will ever guess that a soup this smooth and creamy could be low-fat! Our Test Kitchen simmered up plenty of savory herb flavors that blend together well to make this soup a keeper.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste until blended. In a small bowl, combine milk
- powder and flour; stir in milk until smooth. Gradually stir into
- soup. Cook and stir until thickened and heated through. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 201 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat-free milk.