Herbed Stuffed Green Peppers Recipe
- 6 green peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large kettle, blanch peppers in boiling water 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet with a nonstick finish, brown the turkey. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, combine tomato liquid, onion, celery, garlic and herbs. Simmer until vegetables are tender and the mixture has begun to thicken. Stir in tomatoes, turkey and rice.
- 3. Stuff into peppers and place in a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Top each pepper with about 1 tablespoon cheese. Return to oven for 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (rice prepared without salt) equals 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch; also, 267 calories, 483 mg sodium, 51 mg cholesterol, 29 gm carbohydrate, 21 gm protein, 10 gm fat.
Reviews for Herbed Stuffed Green Peppers
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer